Chief Aisha Audu-Emeje, currently the Special Adviser on International Relations /Investment to the Kogi State governor, Captain Idris Wada, was not born into money. While growing up, she had to engage in odd jobs to make ends meet. Now, she presides over a vast business empire that cuts across telecommunications, automobiles, agribusiness and energy in Nigeria and the United States of America. She told Ruth Olurounbi her story.
Beginning
I was born on July 17, 1968, in Ebute Metta, Lagos to the family of Mr and Mrs W.A. Emeje of Ojofu, Ayangba in Dekina Local Government Area of Kogi State. I come from a not-so-wealthy background. Growing up, I assisted my mother at a local food canteen and I sold cashew nuts and shear butter nuts to exporters in large quantity. While growing, up I had an instinctive urge for expansion and growth, and a reason why I couldn't just wave aside the efforts of my parents' economic challenges to put my siblings and I through school to gain academic excellence.
My father was a Chief Petty Officer in the Nigerian Navy, so we lived in the barracks. That experience, living life in the military barracks, served as a pacesetter for me.
I am currently the Special Adviser to the Kogi State governor on International Relations and Investment.
Education
I briefly attended the Nigerian Navy Primary School, Malu Road, Apapa, Lagos, before moving to Calabar and Benue with my parents. I also attended Queen of the Holy Rosary College Gboko. After the sudden death of my father, while in my second year in secondary school, my mother worked hard to raise us as a single parent. But because of our mother's almost fanatical emphasis on education and success, I went to school and attended Benue State Polytechnic Ugbokolo, Benue State. I proceeded to the American Inter-Continental University, Illinois-Chicago from where I obtained a Bachelor in Accounts and Finance. I have an Honorary Doctorate Degree in Public Administration from the Pebble Hills University, USA.
Businesses
In the mid 90's and early 2000, I founded Aiba Voltex Services Ltd and other companies, a business conglomerate that now cuts across agribusiness, real estate, automobiles, power, energy, construction, financial consulting and telecommunication; which today, has given rise to Started Up Funders for Suburban Telecommunication Nigeria Ltd, AVS Card Systems Limited (secured personalization printing), Tuscali Nigeria Limited (service providers), among others. I also own a factory in Abuja.
Professional experience
I am currently the Special Adviser on International Relations /Investment to the Governor of Kogi State. My job description is to advise and work with the governor in developing investment opportunities and ideas, creation and implementation of robust economic investment strategy for the state, exploring and developing international grant making opportunities for the state's projects, innovating viable Private Public Partnerships (PPP) for the state and its projects while also building an effective marketing plan, building segmentation and targeting approaches to define optimal strategies in meeting the Millennium Development Goals, MDGs for Kogi State, among others.
I have also worked with and still work with the Nigerian Embassy, Washington, as an advisor and consultant on power project/financial and implementation, I organise investment programmes for the federal government and states, here. In the United States, I am a partner to EXIM Bank, IMF and World Bank approved financial consultants and advisor in investing in Nigeria.
Pet projects
I have a Non Government Organisation (NGO), the A3 Foundation, a Nigeria-based non-profit organisation partnering with a wide range of international organisations to ensure that all Nigerian citizens across the world, especially those with the fewest resources, have access to the opportunities that they need to succeed, while leading healthy and productive lives. Besides its commitment to promoting equality among all, protecting human rights and to alleviating human suffering, my foundation also seeks to prevent and resolve conflicts involving Nigerians to enhance freedom and democracy, and to improve the health of all the citizens inside or outside the Nigerian state.
The foundation recently partnered with Leadership Initiatives, a Washington, D.C. based nonprofit organisation to launch regional leadership and business development programme for residents of Kogi State. The programme will help local community leaders establish, run and cultivate new business programmes. In the agreement signed, five new businesses would be created each year, and by the second year should increase to 20 businesses in Kogi State. Our primary focus is to make people entrepreneurs; it is our desire to equip a new generation of entrepreneurs and civic leaders with the skills necessary to solve problems in Kogi State using the Kogi resources.
Politics
I contested for the Kogi State governorship seat last year but lost. Since then, I had moved back into the United States where I came from, focusing on my businesses. Later on, I was called by the state governor, Captain Idris Wada, to serve my state and since that is what I am passionate about, I took it.
On country of residence
Being in the United States affords me greater opportunity to do my job. Remember, I am the Special Adviser on International Relations /Investment to the Kogi State governor and being here helps me connect with international investors easier than if I am based in Nigeria.
Extracurricular
I spend my free time with my children and my friends. Also, because I am a spiritual person, I engage in routine spiritual retreats, which I have found help me a great deal. I am also an occasional party goer.
SOURCE: NIGERIA TRIBUNE
No comments:
Post a Comment