PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan on Wednesday announced the constitution of a committee to reposition Nigerian sports to be headed by finance Minister, Ngozi Okonjo Iweala.
The President announced this in Abuja shortly after paying an unscheduled visit to the Super Eagles who are preparing for the first leg 2013 AFCON qualifier against Liberia in Monrovia this weekend.
President Jonathan, also gave words of assurance on the poor state of facilities at the Abuja National Stadium, saying that it would soon be a thing of the past.
Tribuneports gathered that the President had in the wake of the country's poor performance at the London 2012 Olympics expressed disappointment over the development, promising to take drastic step at addressing the issue of sports in the country.
Meanwhile the Nigerian number one citizen has charged the Super Eagles to beat Liberia on Saturday and ultimately qualify for the Nations Cup to be staged in South Africa next year.
"From what I have seen from your training, I am confident that you would make Nigerians proud this weekend in Monrovia," the President said.
"I want to be in the Nations Cup in South Africa but that cannot happen if you do not beat Liberia to qualify. All what you need to qualify we will provide for you. So, I charge you to go out and qualify this country for the Nations Cup," Jonathan added.
No comments:
Post a Comment